Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Jobs for Life (JFL) Network Site?
A church or organization that implements the Jobs for Life’s job training and support strategy enabling unemployed or underemployed individuals to obtain and maintain meaningful employment.
Why become a JFL Network Site?
- People in your community need employment or better jobs
- Employers in your area cannot find the people they need
- People coming out of prison need a job
- People who are moving off welfare need to go to work
- You are looking for a proven job training model with a track record of success
- You are interested in implementing a Biblically-based job training strategy
- You need a viable strategy to mobilize your church/organization to reach out to the unemployed
- You want to help people transform their lives
- You are interested in being a part of a local and global network of churches and organizations committed to the same mission of helping those who struggle with work
What are the benefits of being a JFL Network Site?
Success for a site not only comes through the materials and products provided by JfL, but also through the ongoing support and service provided by JfL Customer Service and its network of sites. JfL sites receive ongoing training and assistance from JfL Customer Service, product updates, access to other site leaders across the country, opportunities to engage JfL’s strategic partners, etc..
What are the costs to be a JFL Network Site?
Membership is FREE. With your membership, you have access to free electronic training materials. There is a cost plus shipping and handling for your church, business, or organization to purchase hard copy JfL training materials.
Your site should plan for any other costs to run a JfL class, including food, refreshments, supplies, staffing needs (if necessary), or other implementation costs. Many sites are able to cover the majority of these costs through volunteers or donated items.
How does JFL training compare to other job training programs?
JfL training is distinct from other job training programs in the following ways:
Biblically-based – Jobs for Life training is intended to help students engage in a journey —a journey from unemployment to employment or from under-employment to better employment. It is also intended to help them through a bigger journey, a journey through life. To do that, the course uses the Bible as a textbook, a tool that helps make sense of this journey. The Bible provides stories and examples of people who have been transformed and have overcome barriers to succeed. Because these stories transcend time, age, class, race and culture, JfL students find themselves in these stories and can apply the lessons learned in ways that help them better understand who they are and their unique purpose in life.
Church-led – JfL classes are led by leaders and volunteers of local Christ-centered churches and community organizations. By engaging the Church in this way, JfL training leverages the passion and expertise of people of faith committed to providing a long term, sustainable solution to poverty and unemployment at a fraction of the cost of traditional job training programs. Moreover, churches and ministries are often better equipped to address the root problems keeping men and women from finding employment and experiencing life. Through this training, men and women obtain far more than just a job. They experience life, a life filled with confidence, self-control, coaching, learning, and faith.
Relationship-centered – Every student who participates in JfL training is supported by a mentor (often called a JfL champion) to provide ongoing support and encouragement. As a result, participants experience an extraordinary sense of community during JfL training classes not found in other job training programs. It is through this community that course participants build the relationships they need not only to be successful in the JfL class and gain access to employment but also to have a supportive network long after the course is completed.
Character-driven – JfL training focuses on the most important quality companies look for in their employees – character. Through the combination of biblical training and community support, JfL graduates learn the importance of working hard, showing up on time, respecting authority, taking responsibility for their actions, and being a team player. Equipped with strategies to overcome the barriers in their lives, they are trained to be reliable, trustworthy employees who arrive on time, have smiles on their faces, and do whatever it takes to get the job done. They are screened, qualified, and supported workforce ready to meet the pressing needs of companies in their community.
What does the JFL national office provide to JFL Network Sites?
- Use of Jobs for Life tools and materials
- Ongoing assistance by Jobs for Life national staff through e-mail and phone
- Access to Jobs for Life workshops providing face-to-face leadership training
- Access to new curricula/materials
- Access to Jobs for Life’s strategic partnerships
- National e-newsletter and regular updates
- Access to other Jobs for Life site leaders
What are the key steps for establishing a JFL Site?
- Read through Jobs for Life information.
- Assess the need for Jobs for Life in your local community, church, or organization.
- Identify someone who will carry the vision for your Jobs for Life site and do the initial organizing at your church/organization.
- Assess the availability of committed volunteers who could serve in leadership on a Jobs for Life Site Leadership Team.
- Join the Jobs for Life Network and access training materials online.
- Review the Jobs for Life training materials, which include detailed explanations of how to begin and develop your successful Jobs for Life site.
- Finalize your Jobs for Life Site Leadership Team and begin to promote your new Jobs for Life site.
- Start your first Jobs for Life training course and begin helping people obtain and retain meaningful employment.
Where can I mail a check?
Please mail to: Jobs for Life, P.O. Box 20368, Raleigh, NC 27619
Is my gift-tax deductible?
JfL is a 501(c)(3) organization and your gifts are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law. Please conduct a tax advisor for specific deductibility rules.
Will I receive a receipt?
Yes, you will receive either a mailed or electronic receipt. For donations sent by mail, you will receive a paper receipt. For donations made on www.jobsforlife.org, you will receive a receipt via email. Please contact us with any questions at 919-348-2024 from 9:00 to 5:00 EST, Monday through Friday or through email@example.com.
Do you accept stock or property donations?
Yes, we accept stock or property donations. Please contact us for instructions at 919-348-2024 from 9:00 to 5:00 EST, Monday through Friday or through firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where do you get your funding?
JfL receives funding from individual donors, churches, community organizations, corporations, and foundations. People who understand the value of work and are excited about the role of the church invest in Jobs for Life.
How do I ensure you are investing my support wisely?
An outside accounting firm conducts an annual audit of JfL. In addition, JfL has become accreditated by the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA). ECFA accreditation is based on the ECFA Seven Standards of Responsible Stewardship™, including financial accountability, transparency, sound board governance and ethical fundraising. Furthermore, an all-volunteer Board of Directors sets policies and procedures and monitors the budget and expenditures.
What is the federal taxpayer ID number for JfL
The EIN, or federal taxpayer identification number, for JfL is 56-2193808.
How do I obtain a copy of JfL's W-9 or 501(c) letter or annual financials?
To obtain a copy of either document, please email us with your request at email@example.com
How do I update the value of my monthly gift?
Please contact us at 919-348-2024 from 9:00 to 4:30 EST, Monday through Friday or through firstname.lastname@example.org to update your monthly gift amount.
How do I cancel my monthly gift?
Please contact us at 919-348-2024 from 9:00 to 4:30 EST, Monday through Friday or through email@example.com to cancel your monthly gift amount.
How do I change the credit card or bank account for my monthly gift?
Please contact us at 919-348-2024 from 9:00 to 4:30 EST, Monday through Friday to alter your credit card or bank account information for your monthly gift.